Environmental programme 2019 - 2023The long-term Environmental Programme is aligned with the Company’s strategy cycle and forms part of NLMK Group’s investment programme. The programme is designed to prevent and minimize the Company’s environmental impact and to achieve best-in-class environmental performance in global steelmaking.
Implementation of the 2019–2023 Environmental Programme will ensure the attainment of the Company's environmental goals:
- Achieve compliance with all environmental regulations for all NLMK Group companies;
- Reduce CO2 emissions (Scope 1 + Scope 2) to 1.84 t/t of steel;
- Reduce specific emissions by NLMK Group’s Russian operations to the steelmaking industry’s best available technology level: 18.0 kg/t of steel;
- Regular reporting of CO2 emissions to the World Steel Association (WSA);
- Reduce pollutant discharge by 25%;
- Increase the share of recycled waste to 92% (without overburden and host rocks in mining).
NLMK Group’s total investment in environmental improvements and projects at its sites under the 2019–2023 Environmental Programme will exceed RUB 20 billion. The majority of the funds will be invested at the Lipetsk site.
Examples of major projects implemented:
NLMK Group is currently developing and testing innovative projects in the following areas:
- Utilizing CO2 as a product: process water softening, slag carbonization, market sales of carbon dioxide;
- Slag quenching simulation to assess hydrogen sulphide release;
- Online monitoring of atmospheric air and analysing the obtained data;
- Equipping emission sources with automatic control systems;
- Using unmanned aerial vehicles for environmental monitoring;
- New water purification technologies;
- Suppression of dust from secondary sources.
NLMK Group and the Skolkovo Foundation have signed a strategic cooperation agreement on innovation.
The Skolkovo Foundation will provide NLMK Group access to its project portfolio, including R&D in construction, advanced materials, and solutions to enable NLMK to improve its production and business processes. The parties have also agreed on formats for expert and advisory support for relevant projects. NLMK Group plans to trial and implement the most efficient innovative solutions at its companies in Russia, the US, and Europe.