- Sustainable development
- Environmental development
- Waste recycling and by-product manufacturing
Waste recycling and by-product manufacturing
For this strategy cycle the Company has set an environmental target to reduce the share of recycled waste to 92% (without overburden, host rocks in mining, and previously accumulated waste). In particular, at the flagship Lipetsk site the percentage of recycled waste will reach 96% by 2023.
Waste recycling (excluding stripping and tailings), without previously accumulated waste, %
The site generates about 2 million tonnes of waste annually. 80% (sludge, dust, metal scrap, waste oils and emulsions) is processed and used as fuel in production. 15% of waste is handed over to organizations specializing in neutralization or disposal. 5% is placed at landfills. Paper, cardboard, glass, plastic and wood packaging, office equipment, printer cartridges, mercury-containing waste, and depleted batteries are collected separately at NLMK Lipetsk.
Key projects aimed at improving waste management
- Production of blast furnace charge from industrial waste (BF shops and Coke Plant).
- Full recycling of all newly generated ferrum-containing waste
- Use of generated wood chips in the ferroalloy shop process
- No purchasing wood for the production of chips