Environmental programme 2020
In May 2014 NLMK Group announced the start of the third stage of its Environmental Programme scheduled to run until 2020 (Environmental Programme 2020).
Part of the Group’s development strategy and investment programme, Environmental Programme 2020 is aimed at minimising environmental impact and achieving the industry’s best-in-class environmental performance.
The aim of Environmental Programme 2020 is to:
- Achieve compliance with all environmental regulations for all NLMK Group companies.
- Reduce specific emissions by NLMK Group’s Russian operations from 22.6 to the steelmaking industry’s best available technology levels.
- Achieve zero waste water at all production sites.
- Increase recycling rate from 5 to 25%.
- Completely recycle accumulated waste including the slag heap in Lipetsk resulting from more than 80 years of operation and the 40-year-old sludge reservoir at NSMMZ in Revda.
Key projects within Environmental Programme 2020
NLMK Group’s total investment in environmental improvements and projects at its sites within Environmental Programme 2020 will exceed 10 billion rubles. The majority of the funds will be invested at the Lipetsk site.
- Build a new biological wastewater treatment system for the coke plant based on a unique process flow sheet developed by Russian researchers.
- Upgrade the dust collection system in the refractory shop for improved off-gas treatment (98% vs 95%) and lower annual dust emissions (-54 tonnes).
- Build a new blast furnace slag recycling facility to switch to water free slag cooling and reduce related hydrogen sulphide emissions by more than a factor of eight.
- Revamp the dust suppression system in the open-air section of the bulk material storage facility used by the refractory shop to reduce limestone dust by 5% in the shop and 50% in the open-air section of the storage facility.
- Revamp four dust collectors for refractory shop furnaces to triple the efficiency of dust collection during off-gas treatment. The project will be undertaken in stages during 2015 and 2016.
- Reconstruct and upgrade dust collection systems.
- Install a sprinkling and dust suppression system on the tailings pond beach.
- Revamp wagon tipplers’ dust collection system in coal blending units No. 1 and 2
2016. Lipetsk production site
- Reconstruction of lime conveyor and wagon tipper aspiration units Nos. 1-2; with construction of an aspiration system from lime receiving bunkers in sintering operations
- Construction of a central off-gas cleaning system for shaft furnaces Nos.1-3 at the refractory shop
- Reconstruction of aspiration unit No.20 at the refractory shop
- Reconstruction of bulk material conveyor aspiration units (Nos. 1,2,3,7,8) of section No.3 with replacement for sleeve filters at the refractory shop
- Construction of a modular aspiration system for BF-4 at blast furnace shop No. 1
- Reconstruction of the off-gas cleaning unit of rotary furnace No. 3 at the refractory shop; with electric filter replacement
- Build system for neutralising excessive cycled gases in the coke dry quenching plant of coke unit No. 2
2017. Lipetsk production site
- Coke and chemical operations. Reconstruction of coke and chemical product recovery shop; unification of coke gas flows from coking plants Nos. 1,2,5,6. Reduction of specific air emissions
- Revda: revamp the gas cleaning plant of EAF shops 1 and 2 (stage)
- Complete renovation of blast furnaces No. 4, 5 and 6. Expected impact: lower carbon oxide and dust emissions.
- Revamp exhaust ducts of BOFs 2 and 3 in BOF shop No. 2. Expected impact: lower carbon oxide and dust emissions.
2016. NLMK La Louvière
- Build an oily wastewater treatment system for rolling shops.
2016. NSMMZ (Nizhniye Sergi)
- Build a water treatment facility for the surface water sewers.
- Build new and renovate old water treatment facilities at the site.
- Use tailings in construction of barriers between tailings pond sections.
- Reclamation of the industrial waste landfill.
- Upgrade the water reuse system: build a slurry dewatering unit and new water reuse and tailings transfer pipeline systems (in three phases) to adopt more efficient methods of processing, transporting and storing gangue for reduced environmental impact and energy consumption, and increased pipeline capacity.
- Reclamation of the slag heap.
- Build a briquetting plant with an annual capacity of 700,000 tonnes; recycle 5.4 million tonnes of industrial waste; and recycle 395,000 tonnes of accumulated slag a year.
2024. NSMMZ (Revda)
- Eradicate the plant’s tailings pond.
Second stage of the technical upgrade programme: impact
NLMK Group allocated more than 21 billion rubles for environmental projects during the second stage of the technical upgrade programme in 2007–2012, bringing total investment in upgrades and new construction to 258 billion rubles. This includes 7.5 billion rubles invested in environmental technology for NLMK Kaluga, a new generation mill opened in July 2013.
RUR - investment in upgrades and new construction from 2007 to 2012
The Group’s Russian operations boosted steel production by 52% over the period to reach 14.2 million tonnes, while air emissions decreased by 40% (from 37.5 to 22.6 kg per tonne of steel) and discharges into water were reduced to one fifty-fourth of earlier levels (from 1.08 to 0.02 kg per tonne). The Lipetsk site, which accounts for 80% of the Group’s output, achieved zero waste water in mid-2009.