Energy Management System
In order to strengthen its national and international profile, improve its image, and guarantee the attainment of its energy efficiency goals based on mutual commitments by the Company’s management and employees, NLMK has integrated a certified energy management system.
In 2019, the Company prepared a draft of the NLMK Group Integrated Management System Policy (RU). The policy has been elaborated and approved to attain the objectives of NLMK’s Sustainable Development Policy. It will consolidate the Company’s commitments under all management systems into one document.
Integrated Management System (ISM) energy efficiency goals
- Comply with best industry practice levels in terms of material and technical resource efficiency and the safety of production processes for the environment and human health.
- Be a global leader in the use of best practices to boost the energy efficiency of production; attain the minimum technically and economically feasible level of product energy intensity and cash cost.
ISM policy guidelines for the EMS
- NLMK Group ensures the quality and safety of its products by controlling internal production processes and the supply chain, while aiming to expand the scope of its product life cycle controls to ensure a cost-effective reduction of the environmental footprint in the supply chain and in product use.
- NLMK Group ensures a decrease in the resource intensity of its production via sustained action to reduce its specific consumption of natural raw materials, water, fuel, and energy resources, and to reduce labour input by increasing the efficiency of production processes, integrating systems for resource reuse and BAT application, and regular indicator monitoring.
- NLMK Group plans its activities taking into account the results of a regular objective analysis of risks related to quality, environmental protection, energy efficiency, and OHS.
- NLMK Group plans and implements measures aimed at raising the socio-economic development level of the regions where it operates and their local communities, including via a responsible attitude towards the environment, efficient use of natural resources, and social responsibility
- NLMK Group ensures the transparency and availability of information about the goals and effectiveness of its activities related to quality, occupational health, energy efficiency, industrial and environmental safety, and maintains effective communication with internal and external stakeholders.
The Energy Management System (EMS) at NLMK Lipetsk has been operating successfully since 1999. In October 2012, the system was audited for compliance with the ISO 50001:2011 international standard (Energy management systems – Requirements with guidance for use), and NLMK Lipetsk became the first steelmaking company in Russia to receive this compliance certificate.
The EMS at NLMK Lipetsk is constantly maintained and improved. A roadmap has been developed for 2020 to integrate the management systems operating across all NLMK Group sites, with NLMK Lipetsk leading the project.
The Company places special emphasis on developing staff competencies and increasing their engagement in the process of enhancing the energy efficiency of its operations. Group companies have introduced specialized remote training courses, available through corporate IT resources.
Every NLMK employee has the opportunity to propose an initiative to improve energy efficiency via the Bank of Ideas information system on the corporate portal. Employees can input an idea for improving production into the Bank of Ideas from any computer, and it will be immediately sent for consideration to their immediate supervisor, then to the Technical Council of the unit or the site. Financing to implement such initiatives is provided by the corporate operational efficiency system.
In April 2017, a certification body carried out a re-certification audit of the NLMK Lipetsk Energy Management System related to consolidating all NLMK Group management systems into an umbrella system. As a result, the company received a new ISO 50001:2011 compliance certificate.
In 2018, the project to consolidate all NLMK Group Russian sites into a single umbrella management system certificate was finalized. This enabled the company to cut the costs of management system audits.
In April 2019, NLMK Lipetsk successfully underwent a compliance audit of the Energy Management System (along with other operational management systems). The BSI certification body confirmed the compliance of the NLMK Lipetsk EMS to the ISO 50001:2011 standard.
Future plans to improve the EMS include transitioning to the new version of the international standard (ISO 50001:2018) in 2020 and transferring the management system to an e-platform.