Energy Management System
In order to strengthen its national and international profile, improve its image, and guarantee the attainment of its energy efficiency goals based on mutual commitments by the Company’s management and employees, NLMK has integrated a certified energy management system.
In 2020 NLMK Group adopted its Integrated Management System Policy. The policy was developed and approved in order to reach NLMK Group’s goals and objectives in the field of sustainability. It enables the Company’s leadership to consolidate all its current management system commitments in a single document.
Integrated Management System (IMS) energy efficiency goals
- Comply with best industry practice levels in terms of material and technical resource efficiency and the safety of production processes for the environment and human health.
- Be a global leader in the use of best practices to boost the energy efficiency of production; attain the minimum technically and economically feasible level of product energy intensity and cash cost.
IMS policy guidelines for the EMS
- NLMK Group ensures a decrease in the resource intensity of its production via sustained action to reduce its specific consumption of natural raw materials, water, fuel, and energy resources, and to reduce labour input by increasing the efficiency of production processes, integrating systems for resource reuse and BAT application, and regular indicator monitoring.
- NLMK Group plans its activities taking into account the results of a regular objective analysis of risks related to quality, environmental protection, energy efficiency, and OHS.
- NLMK Group plans and implements measures aimed at raising the socio-economic development level of the regions where it operates and their local communities, including via a responsible attitude towards the environment, efficient use of natural resources, and social responsibility
- NLMK Group ensures the transparency and availability of information about the goals and effectiveness of its activities related to quality, occupational health, energy efficiency, industrial and environmental safety, and maintains effective communication with internal and external stakeholders.
The Energy Management System (EMS) at NLMK Lipetsk has been operating successfully since 1999. In 2012, NLMK audited for compliance with the ISO 50001:2011 international standard (Energy management systems – Requirements with guidance for use, 2011 version), and NLMK Lipetsk became the first steelmaking company in Russia to receive this compliance certificate.
NLMK’s Energy Management System determines and oversees compliance with energy efficiency requirements for equipment and engineering as part of the site’s investment and operating activities. The requirements include best global and industry practices in energy efficiency. The technical solutions for equipment that is newly constructed or to be overhauled are audited for compliance with energy efficiency requirements and the uniform requirements for managing the energy facilities at NLMK Group sites.
NLMK’s Energy Management System is continuously maintained and improved. Since 2018 NLMK Group’s Russian companies use a single umbrella certificate for every management system, enabling lower costs for auditing current management systems.
In 2020, a road map was implemented to integrate all management systems operating at NLMK Group sites, with NLMK Lipetsk leading the project.
The Company places special emphasis on developing competencies and increasing staff engagement into the process of increasing the energy efficiency of production. Group companies have introduced specialized remote courses for staff using corporate IT resources. Employees are also informed about the energy performance of specific shops/sites/companies via the corporate portal.
NLMK’s energy management target-setting is fully integrated into the corporate system of objectives. Energy targets are delegated across management levels to motivate employees.
Every NLMK employee has the opportunity to propose an initiative to improve energy efficiency via the Bank of Ideas information system on the corporate portal. Employees can input an idea for improving production into the Bank of Ideas from any computer, and it will be immediately sent for consideration to their immediate supervisor, then to the Technical Council of the unit or the site. Financing to implement such initiatives is provided by the corporate operational efficiency system.
In April 2020 NLMK Lipetsk successfully completed a re-certification audit of the Energy Management System (along with other current management systems). The certification body attested to the compliance of NLMK Lipetsk’s EMS to the international ISO 50001:2018 standard. The site was awarded a new certificate of compliance with ISO 50001:2018 as part of the umbrella certification system of NLMK Group’s Russian companies.